By Carolyn Weber
Winter days are short and dark. These seven light
fixtures can add a warm, stylish glow.
1. Add a pop of color to an all-white kitchen with this sleek pendant light.
A reproduction of an award-winning Danish design from the 1960s, the lamp
offers clean lines that still look modern today. The Semi Pendant is available in
three sizes and five colors (including red-orange, shown here), and sells for $259
at Design Within Reach in Bethesda (301-215-7200; www.dwr.com).
2. Even if you’re not going over blueprints, an architect’s table lamp looks
great in a home office. An update on a traditional style, this industrial-looking
task light is made of satin-steel, has a 9-inch weighted base, and the height
adjusts up to 31 inches. Get one for $149 at Urban Loft in Bethesda
3. Sparkly and pretty, the Callia Crystal Flushmount feels formal but less
fussy than a crystal chandelier. A steel base, with an antique bronze finish,
supports dozens of clear glass bead droplets. The fixture is 14 inches in diameter
and priced at $349 at Pottery Barn in Mazza Gallerie (202-244-0537;
4. A rustic orb chandelier can lend warmth to a dining room or large foyer.
Stained wood forms the frame and surrounds four candle bulbs with glass
covers. The Kichler Grand Bank 4LT Pendant retails for $649 at Ferguson
in Rockville (301-424-1393; www.ferguson.com).
5. This little table lamp looks like a beautiful piece of pottery. The handmade
ceramic base is turquoise-and-brown ombré with a glazed finish. The Kelton
Table Lamp, at 19 inches high and 14 inches wide, is available for $249 at
Crate and Barrel in Spring Valley (202-364-6100; www.crateandbarrel.com).
6. The Owen Floor Lamp is made of iron, with a two-toned gold-and-silver
finish, and the unique shape was inspired by jewelry links. You’ll find it at Ethan
Allen in Rockville for $879 (301-984-4360; www.ethanallen.com).
7. Tailored and classic, this double wall sconce could add character to a living
room, entryway or hall. The design features two metal tones—bronze and
antique brass—and black-trimmed, natural paper shades. The Elkins Double
Sconce is $455 at Neiman Marcus in Mazza Gallerie (202-966-9700;