1 pound cellentani or fusilli pasta
½ cup vinaigrette
11 ounces cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 each of red, yellow and orange bell
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and
½ red onion, chopped
¼ cup sliced fresh basil
¼ cup Kalamata pitted olives
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
TO MAKE A BASIC VINAIGRETTE:
1. Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add
a generous dash of salt. Cook the pasta
according to the package directions for al
2. Strain the pasta and rinse with cold water.
Rinsing the pasta will help get rid of excess
starch. Drain thoroughly and put in a
3. Once the pasta has cooled, toss with the
vinaigrette—don’t wait until the pasta is
cold because it won’t absorb the dressing
as readily. Add the cherry tomatoes,
peppers, red onion, basil and olives. Toss
together. Sprinkle cheese on top. Serve at
room temperature or cold.
1. Place the mustard in a mixing bowl. Add the vinegar, salt, pepper, shallots and garlic.
2. In your dominant hand, hold a stiff sauce whisk.
3. In the other hand, hold a squeeze bottle of oil at the edge of the bowl. While whisking
continuously with your dominant hand, squeeze in or add the oil in a thin stream directly
where the whisk is beating the mustard and vinegar. The ingredients should begin binding
together into a creamy sauce. If the mixture is too thick, add a little of the water.
4. If the oil and vinegar start to separate, start over in a clean bowl with a tiny bit of mustard
and a few drops of water and whisk the broken vinaigrette into the new mustard mixture.
5. Store in a squeeze bottle or an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
1 tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon minced shallots
1 tablespoon minced garlic
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,
preferably in a squeeze bottle
TO MAKE THE SALAD: