the Offutt subdivision. Its boundarieshave stayed the same: Wisconsin Ave-nue on the east and, today, the 4701 Wil-lard Apartments on the west. Much of thearea outside the village line is known asFriendship Heights, too.
In the early days, Friendship Heights
homeowners sometimes bought an adja-
cent lot to plant a garden or orchard.
Cows and mules were common, as were
chicken coops. The annual hog slaughter
was a late autumn ritual.
In the rest of Chevy Chase, there wereno hog killings in the front yard. A gar-den was OK, but finding other necessitiesrequired driving your regulation ModelT to Tenleytown, or ordering goods fromWashington to be delivered by dailyfreight trolley. There was also a small gro-cery on Brookville Road that somehowescaped the commercial ban.
The Chevy Chase Land Co. backedthe Saks deal in 1960, and the countyapproved the store. Villagers grudginglyaccepted it. “Certainly they [Saks] take upa large amount of space that would oth-erwise perhaps be given over to ratherhonky-tonky places of business,” Jarvissaid in that 1971 interview.
Newlands Street is a memorial (alongwith the Chevy Chase Circle fountain) tothe man who financed the suburb, Fran-cis Griffith Newlands. Newlands repre-sented the new state of Nevada in theHouse of Representatives from 1893-1903
and in the Senate from 1903-1917. He
was a leader of the turn-of-the-century
campaign to complete Washington, D.C.’s
Newlands bought up farmland along
the future route of Connecticut Avenue.
By 1890, he owned 1,713 acres and formedthe Chevy Chase Land Co. He then boughtthe charter of a railway company intendedto serve Woodley Park in the District, andmade plans to extend service all the way toMaryland. The line opened in 1892.
The creation of Chevy Chase’s core res-
idential neighborhoods lasted from the
1890s to the 1940s, according to Lampl,
the historian. n