the Offutt subdivision. Its boundaries
have stayed the same: Wisconsin Avenue on the east and, today, the 4701 Willard Apartments on the west. Much of the
area outside the village line is known as
Friendship Heights, too.
In the early days, Friendship Heights
homeowners sometimes bought an adja-
cent lot to plant a garden or orchard.
Cows and mules were common, as were
chicken coops. The annual hog slaughter
was a late autumn ritual.
In the rest of Chevy Chase, there were
no hog killings in the front yard. A garden was OK, but finding other necessities
required driving your regulation Model
T to Tenleytown, or ordering goods from
Washington to be delivered by daily
freight trolley. There was also a small grocery on Brookville Road that somehow
escaped the commercial ban.
The Chevy Chase Land Co. backed
the Saks deal in 1960, and the county
approved the store. Villagers grudgingly
accepted it. “Certainly they [Saks] take up
a large amount of space that would otherwise perhaps be given over to rather
honky-tonky places of business,” Jarvis
said in that 1971 interview.
Newlands Street is a memorial (along
with the Chevy Chase Circle fountain) to
the man who financed the suburb, Francis Griffith Newlands. Newlands represented the new state of Nevada in the
House of Representatives from 1893-1903
and in the Senate from 1903-1917. He
was a leader of the turn-of-the-century
campaign to complete Washington, D.C.’s
Newlands bought up farmland along
the future route of Connecticut Avenue.
By 1890, he owned 1,713 acres and formed
the Chevy Chase Land Co. He then bought
the charter of a railway company intended
to serve Woodley Park in the District, and
made plans to extend service all the way to
Maryland. The line opened in 1892.
The creation of Chevy Chase’s core res-
idential neighborhoods lasted from the
1890s to the 1940s, according to Lampl,
the historian. n
on Hampden Ln
All Fired Up
At The Beach
Fancy Cakes by
Liquor & Wine
Noodles & Co.
The Mane Event
The UPS Store
520 Ice Cream of