1. Mix berries, sugar, salt and cornstarch in
a bowl. Let the mixture stand for 15 to 30
2. Remove prepared pie pan and dough from
the refrigerator and pour the berry mixture
into the pan.
3. Cut the butter into small pieces and dot
4. Make lattice top (see below)
5. Trim the lattice strips and press against the
bottom crust. Brush the lattice with milk
and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
Reduce the heat to 350 degrees, and bake
until the crust is brown and thick juices are
bubbling out of the pie, about 1 hour.
7. Remove from the oven and cool
completely before serving.
1. Combine flour, butter, shortening, sugar and
salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Using a paddle attachment on a mixer,
slowly mix until butter and shortening
is pea-size or slightly smaller and mixture
resembles coarse meal. Alternatively, cut
the butter and shortening into the flour and
sugar using your fingertips, two knives or a
3. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time while
blending, using a fork if mixing by hand.
Mix gently until the dough holds together.
Add more ice water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if
necessary. Once dough forms, split it into
two rounds and then wrap and chill for at
least 1 hour.
4. Roll out the dough into one round
measuring 12 inches in diameter and
another measuring 14 inches. Line a 9-inch
pie pan with the smaller round and cut the
overhanging dough flush with the pan.
Place the lined pan and remaining dough in
1. Cut the larger round into ½-inch-wide strips. Place half of the
strips parallel to each other, about ½ inch apart, on top of the pie.
2. Fold every other strip halfway back (use a wooden spoon or
dowel to hold the strips). Place a strip of dough over the
remaining strips, perpendicular to them. Unfold the folded strips
over the perpendicular strip.
3. Next, fold back the parallel strips that are under the
perpendicular strip. Lay down a second perpendicular strip ½
inch from the first one and unfold the folded strips over it. Repeat
on both halves until the pie is covered with a lattice top.
TECHNIQUES FOR MAKING PIE DOUGH